Friday, March 4, 2011

A productive weekend- part 1

At the risk of alienating Brian and other friends and family, I will be spending a lot of time in my studio for the next few weeks. Last weekend was no different.
Most of Saturday I spent making this Lariamar pendant (please excuse the carpet background- I needed something light and I had only a few moments of sunlight left...so this had to do). I didn't sketch for this piece, which isn't terribly common for me. I felt inspired enough to just go for it. It was a studio session where ideas just came from the piece while I was working.

I thought I would do a neat cutout on the back to show a bit of both sides of the stone...
After I completed the cut outs, I soldered the bezel on and the idea of using a circular domed bail hit me. Its shape would mimic the cutouts and give uniform feel. The bail was a new style for me and there was a bit of trial and error that meant spending a lot of time on just this part.

Plus, it just seemed to be a bit of a stinker...move views...
Anyway, I am really happy with how it turned out. The studio session was also very satisfying because it was a raw creation in process- no plans, just go. I really love this bail setting and definitely plan to use it again.

Overall, this piece has a very modern clean feel to me...and with the circles it somehow has a 'cosmic' feeling. What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Find me...

Website
Facebook
Etsy

Email
I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org