Monday, July 12, 2010

Dessert for Dad

Lately I've been working on custom orders, which means I have a little less time for new projects (and reproductions). So I am postponing the posting of Larimar Necklace #3 for the time being, but I promise I will get back to it soon!

In the mean time I thought I would share a recent cooking adventure. I asked Oliva what I could make my chocolate loving dad as a dessert for his birthday. I wanted something portion controlled…a whole cake or batch of cookies just isn't a good idea for only four of us! Olivia suggested this chocolate pudding recipe and also told me about By the Pound in downtown Ann Arbor.  I had everything except the arrowroot powder (which I admit I hadn't heard of- think corn starch…only not from corn). 

Getting things started;


Since the author of this recipe had tried a few things before achieving perfection, I figured I wouldn’t tinker too much. One thing I did modify was the spice amount, I had red curry at home (which can be strong) and my dad is not terribly adventurous so I opted to reduce the amount from 1 tsp  to ¼ tsp. It was pretty easy to make and fun to use a new ingredient.

After mixing this and that, it's into the fridge we go to set. Reducing the spice to only ¼ tsp paid off, it still had a great aroma and aftertaste that was warming but not overpowering.  It was very rich and creamy, the arrowroot really worked very well to thicken and give it a great consistency. I used fresh basil as garnish and instead of spice on top I used a bit of cocoa powder with the toasted coconut flakes.

I'm already planning to make it again! Also, I have to thank Laura for reading me the instructions over the phone- my internet was down and I didn’t have the recipe printed out! Otherwise I might have been tempted to go here;

1 comment:

Find me...

Website
Facebook
Etsy

Email
I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org